About the Santa Lucia Preserve
The Santa Lucia Preserve is a community dedicated to appreciating and respecting the natural beauty of The Preserve and its geographical, historical and cultural setting. The community includes 300 families, the Santa Lucia Conservancy, and the staff who support operations and infrastructure. Working in partnership, the members of the community aim to gently settle, use, share, sustain and enjoy the land by protecting, maintaining and wherever possible, enhancing its natural resources and wildlife.
Members of the Santa Lucia Preserve community take personal responsibility for achieving the aims of the community by the manner in which they conduct their lives, specifically subscribing to these values:
- appreciation for natural beauty and conservation;
- commitment to architectural design and land use that are compatible with the Preserve’s landscape, environment, and ecology;
- recognition of the importance of the concept of “One Preserve” – the whole is greater than the sum of its parts;
- respect for ALL members of the community and for a diversity of lifestyles that fall within the community’s values;
- neighborliness and inclusiveness;
- a special focus on sharing The Preserve with family and friends;
- trustworthiness and open communication;
- regard for and integration with the region’s and surrounding communities’ history, culture and diversity;
- support for and involvement in maintaining a responsive and responsible community government;
- support for long-term, fiscally sound management that provides excellence in services, facilities and events, and maintains the highest aesthetic standards;
- enjoyment and promotion of gracious, informal hospitality and spontaneity;
- gratefulness for the gifts life and The Preserve offer – family, friends, neighbors, dedicated staff, natural beauty, culture, and history.
The Santa Lucia Preserve envisions itself a dynamic, responsive, and stable community, creating a legacy for future generations through the perpetuation of its legendary, timeless and irreplaceable qualities.
Be present to a sense of tradition. The Preserve masterfully weaves time-honored festivities with today’s sense of fun.
- The Fandango celebrates the Vaquero traditions of horsemanship skills and community spirit, complete with a barn dance and trunk show.
- The Spring Festival features fun for all ages including lawn games, pig races and a climbing wall. The Easter Bunny leads an egg hunt with over 1,000 eggs!
- The annual Mushroom Hunt and Lunch is hosted by California’s leading mushroom enthusiasts, followed by an educational debrief and a mushroom-themed luncheon at the Old Barn.
The community’s own wine festival happens every summer at the Preserve Wine Fest. Residents and members visit the Hacienda to taste close to 100 wines – often served by local vintners themselves.
- During the Independence Day Celebration neighbors come together and enjoy a variety of competitive and athletic events including a stand-up paddle board competition.
- The Preserve Concours and Cocktails is a chance for members to showcase their prized vehicles and celebrate the Concours d’Elegance with Preserve flair.
Disconnect. Reconnect. The only “screen” your family will see is on the door on their way outside.
- Afternoons of stand up paddle boarding
- Friendly family races down the water slide
- Camping at the lake
- Thanksgiving Turkey trots (among actual turkeys)
…are all standard fare for families at The Preserve.
Here families just “go outside and play”.